ATVFUNCLUB.COM

AFC
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: changing oil
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:18 pm 

sonny and i have been talking and decided that as hard as we ride the quads it is probably good to change the oil after every two trips. also be very careful when screwing oil filter cover bolts back in. i twisted mine in two and had to extract it and find new ones. but it gave me a reson to buy a bolt extractor.

look at the bolts. if the threads are wider in the middle of the bolt and the bolt is thinner then you are tightening it too much. i just got stronger bolts at advanced auto. :twisted:

"I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous! "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:47 pm 

I can definitely vouch for the oil filter cover bolts. I did the same thing to my quad. Tightened one of them a little too hard and it broke off.
It is always best and easier to get the bolt back out if it broke off as you were tightening it as opposed to trying to take it out.

In my case and this is good for everyone to know, I went to Sears and also got bolt extractors then when I got home I tried other ways to get the bolt out besides the extractors. Yes I could've and should've tried other means before I got the extractors but I didn't.

Anyhow I was able to back the broken off bolt in the oil filter cover by using a small flat head screw driver. Came out fairly easy. Now this won't work in every case because each bolt breaks off differently and you may not be able to get enough of the bolt to be able to turn it. Luckily mine was broken off at an angle which gave me just enough to twist the bastard out. Needless to say I took the bolt extractors back the next day for a refund and went to Honda for a new bolt. Was very cheap so I got 2 just incase I was stupid enough to do it again. :look:

Fuel Injection
Tamarack Titan Cargo Box
12v Socket
Uni Filter
Horn

Image Image

"If you do what you've always done...you'll get what you've always gotten."